Happy Hockey Day In Canada & All Around The World


First off, Happy Hockey Day In Canada And Hockey Weekend in the US.  It doesn't get much better than this.  Games on all day.

Make sure you take a break from the NHL hockey and check out a bit of the KHL All-Star game.  The arena in Minsk looks amazing.  The KHL is still a bit of a joke; they had one guy skating out there unidentified with a blank jersey but the offensive talent displayed was on par with an NHL All-Star game.  Wayne Gretzky and Mark Messier were on-hand as guests of the Belarusian Hockey Federation.

When asked about the NHL-KHL relations, Gretzky replied:
“I’m not here for the NHL, I don’t work for them, but I think we all have the same common goal to make the game of hockey bigger and better worldwide. I think the NHL knows and understands that. I hope that when they (the KHL, the IIHF and the NHL) meet in Vancouver (during the Olympics), they can all come to an understanding that will make both leagues happy.”
Gretzky and Messier bring instant credibility to the legitimacy of the KHL.  Although, I think Gretzky could be there gauging how much of a threat the KHL is to the NHL.  By the looks of the All-Star game; there's some definite talent over there.  If Kovalchuk makes the move to the KHL; I wouldn't be surprised if alot of other Russian players followed.

Comments